Collection of Personal Information
We collect information about you to provide products or services you have selected and to keep you informed of other products or services offered by us which may be of interest. Types of information we collect and handle includes:
- identity and contact details of you and your referees,
- your employment and occupation details,
- your date of birth, marital status and number of dependants,
- your financial circumstances and credit history details,
- your assets and liability details,
- product or service preferences you may have.
If you do not provide us with this information, we may not be able to provide you with the products or services you are seeking.
In some circumstances, in order to provide the products and services you have selected, we may need to obtain information about you from others.
We will collect only that information which is necessary for the purposes of your dealings with us, we do not collect ‘sensitive’ information such as:
- racial or ethnic origins,
- political opinions or memberships,
- professional or trade union memberships,
- religious beliefs,
- philosophical beliefs,
- sexual preferences,
- criminal records,
- health information.
We will not adopt Commonwealth Government identifiers as our own and if we do collect these we will use them only for identification purposes.
Use & Disclosure
Our use and disclosure of personal information about you is dictated by the product or service you take up. Your personal information may be shared with Capital's related companies. We will not use or disclose your information for a purpose unrelated to the products or services we provide to you or for any other purpose outside your reasonable expectations unless:
- we are required or authorised to do so by law; or
- you have consented to us disclosing the information which we hold about you.
Generally, we use or disclose your personal information for such purposes as:
- servicing our relationship with you,
- internal accounting and administration,
- regulatory reporting and compliance,
- assisting us to identify and inform you about other products or services which we offer that may be of interest to you.
To provide our products and services to you in the most cost effective and efficient way, we may need to utilise the services of third parties for example
- data processing/storage providers,
- direct mailing companies,
- credit reference bureau
- security registration bodies
- record microfilming and archiving services,
- collection agencies.
In addition, you may have been introduced to us by a third party in which case that third party introducer will also have access to your information. Any third party that we use to assist us in providing products and services to you will be restricted from using your personal information other than for the specific purpose for which we supply it. In addition, all third parties will be required to respect your right of privacy through formal agreements with us. As we take our obligation to protect your personal information very seriously we make every effort to deal with third parties who share and demonstrate this same attitude.
Quality, Access & Correction
Personal Information which we hold about you is integral to decisions we make about our products and services which we provide to you. It is essential that information is correct. We make every effort to ensure that your personal information is accurate and up-to-date whenever we collect or use it. To assist us with this, you should let us know if you find that current personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date. We will use all reasonable efforts to correct the information.
You are also welcome to get access to information we hold about you and to draw any inaccuracies to our attention.
We should point out that you will not be able to access all information we hold about you. There are a number of exemptions including but not limited to situations:
- where the access impacts on the privacy of others,
- in the case of frivolous or vexatious requests,
- where there are existing or anticipated legal proceedings and the information is 'privileged',
- in some instances the access can be denied under law or by a law enforcement agency,
- where the information is deemed to be evaluative.
A fee may apply to cover our reasonable costs associated with your request. If we deny your request for access, we will let you know why.
Transborder data flows
Where necessary, your personal information may be transferred outside Australia. We will ensure that any organisation involved will appropriately safeguard the privacy of the information provided to them.
We will safeguard personal information we handle about you. This includes taking all reasonable measures to protect your personal information from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification and disclosure, both internally and externally.
We may store your personal information in hardcopy documents or electronically on our computer systems.
Should you require more detailed information on the way in which we handle personal information about you, or should you be concerned about our treatment of your information, please contact us by writing to:
The Privacy Officer
Capital Finance Australia Limited
PO Box 7685
Baulkham Hills NSW 2153